View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #52
Boxjobox
Moderated Member

Default Re: The Son not forsaken (as much as we might think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
My understanding is that it was not yet thought out by the apostles - they had other concerns. But do not think that means it is wrong. Those who affirmed the Trinity were 2nd or 3rd generation disciples of the apostles themselves.

Tertullian (160-215). African apologist and theologian:

"We define that there are two, the Father and the Son, and three with the Holy Spirit, and this number is made by the pattern of salvation . . . [which] brings about unity in trinity, interrelating the three, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They are three, not in dignity, but in degree, not in substance but in form, not in power but in kind. They are of one substance and power, because there is one God from whom these degrees, forms and kinds devolve in the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit." (Adv. Prax. 23; PL 2.156-7).

We can trust in the Trinity doctrine as much as we trust in the Canon of scripture. Both are coupled to each other such that denial of one is denial of the other.

Since you deny the Trinity because you say it is not in the bible, I wonder how you can accept that the bible canon is authentic because the bible itself never says that the New Testament is Scripture.
So where does one find the trinity doctrine- is it like the 28th book of the NT? Is there like a secret thing that takes place with a believer- 1st they come to see that God sent his son, that Jesus is the Christ, that Jesus died for our sins, that God raised him from the dead, and made him Lord, and then suddenly, the believer through some device? learns that God died, that Jesus is a god-man, that God is not one, but 3 persons, and that Jesus is not one man, but 2 persons, and since they find that God is 3 persons, then Jesus must be 3 persons also in addition to being 2 entities, but if his flesh is God, and his flesh died, then God died? Very strange teaching, indeed!

I hate to say it Evangelical, but I see this from what you share:
“Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.”**Revelation‬ *2:4-5‬ *NKJV

“But I have a few things against you, because you have there those who hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit sexual immorality.” **Revelation‬ *2:14‬ *NKJV‬‬

“Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. And I gave her time to repent of her sexual immorality, and she did not repent. Indeed I will cast her into a sickbed, and those who commit adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they repent of their deeds.” **Revelation‬ *2:20-22‬ *NKJV‬‬

My hope is you could come to this:

““I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie—indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.”**Revelation‬ *3:8-12‬ *NKJV‬‬

Obviously, the resurrected, ascended, glorified Christ loves to talk about his God, and reward the faithful with the glories of his God. I would urge you to start speaking about the God of our Lord Jesus. Paul speaks of Jesus' God, who is also our God, everywhere.
Boxjobox is offline   Reply With Quote