View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 12:14 AM   #119
Curious

Default Re: Quote from today's Witness/Watchman Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Based on the OT sacrifices, the children of Israel had to offer a sacrifice to God for their sin, peace, trespass offerings based on Leviticus. WL taught that Christ was the reality of every offering, and today we can offer Christ to God as our sin, peace, trespass offerings. WL had a "monumental" conference on this, with books written, and followup messages on the topic. After that conference he regularly spoke of this.
Thanks ohio and Nell, for your responses to this question of mine. That makes sense and gives context to this assertion.

It seems to me that it creates another religious activity that can easily become void of real meaning. 'Offering Christ back to God' can become just more words and an excuse not to have a humble, repentant heart. Which I think is essential for a maturing Christian.

My assessment is that God looks at the heart, and the conscience of a person with a humble heart guides them to repent of recognised sin before God and man.

God is interested in our attitude towards ourselves, others and Him. I think this is more important than dissecting it theologically. Just cause Jesus is the one final appropriation for our sin, doesn't mean we only appeal to him once for forgiveness. That does not need to be a logical restriction on the meaning. He died once to save us from our sins. We appeal to him for help every day of our lives.

Saying 'sorry' to a person for an aggrievance is a form of demonstrating respect to that person. Respect alignes with love and giving dignity. It is essential for healthy relationships. So it makes sense that it is a necessary part of loving God too. Love God as you love others... that is back to front, we are to love God more, so part of that is to repent to Him if it's right to repent to our brother if we get it wrong, as we are bound to do along the way. It is the practical part 9f recognising we are fallen and rely on God's grace. His grace demonstrated by forgiveness and to be experienced daily.

I know that's a rant but I feel strongly about this topic.
Curious is offline   Reply With Quote