View Single Post
Old 12-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #14
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Re: Need fellowship here

Quote:
Originally Posted by byHismercy View Post
...I've been following the Chris Watts case and the story fills my heart for compassion for his wife and kids, and their family members, extended. Even the perpetrator of this crime has my pity. I thought to pray for his salvation but considering his wife, and suspecting she may not have known Jesus as her savior, considering where she may be, stopped me. I believe Jesus loves Chris too, so I will pray for his salvation, against my wishes. ...

My question is, what does the word tell us or show us regarding increasing our hearts toward others? Our love toward others? When we come up lacking, is there any practical way to get more love for others, any instruction God gives us?

byHismercy ...
Your question about love was in the context of Chris Watts.

"The Watts family homicides occurred on the early morning of August 13, 2018, when Chris Watts murdered his pregnant wife Shanann Watts and their daughters Bella, 4, and Celeste, 3, in their Frederick, Colorado, home. Chris Watts pleaded guilty on November 6, 2018, to multiple counts of first-degree murder."

Here's another equally important question: What does the Word tell us or show us regarding righteousness, justice, wickedness and grossly horrific sin? From these verses we can see what the Lord loves: righteousness. It seems that love, righteousness, judgment and justice all go together. God is Holy. God IS love. I believe God's love, godly love, does not tolerate unrighteousness, wickedness, lawlessness...sin. Rather, God's love judged sin. I also believe this is why this world is in the mess that it's in.

Even 1 Cor. 13 sets conditions for love which stipulates conditions on evil and truth.

5 It (Love) does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Psalm 11:7 For the righteous Lord loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

Jeremiah 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.

We have a Righteous Judge who judges the sinful behavior of all, including Chris Watts. God gave his Son as a sacrifice for sin. This is the context I see for the behavior of Chris Watts. God loves the sinner, but hates their sin. I think such matters as righteousness, justice and judgment deserve equal consideration with Christian love of others, including Chris Watts.

Nell
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote