View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #57
OBW

Default Re: Putting To Test The Recovery Version

Matt 5:20, Note 1
Quote:
Righteousness here does not refer only to objective righteousness, which is the Christ whom we receive when we believe in Him and are thus justified before God (1 Cor. 1:30; Rom. 3:26); it refers even more to subjective righteousness, which is the indwelling Christ lived out of us as our righteousness that we may live in the reality of the kingdom today and enter into its manifestation in the future. This subjective righteousness is obtained not by merely the fulfilling of the old law, but by the complementing of the old law through the fulfilling of the new law of the kingdom of the heavens given by the new King here in this section of the Word. This righteousness of the kingdom people, which is according to the new law of the kingdom, surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, which is according to the old law. It is impossible for our natural life to gain this surpassing righteousness; it can be produced only by a higher life, the resurrection life of Christ. This righteousness, which is likened to the wedding garment (22:11-12), qualifies us to participate in the wedding of the Lamb (Rev. 19:7-8) and inherit the kingdom of the heavens in its manifestation, that is, to enter into the kingdom of the heavens in the future.
I find it interesting that there is something in scripture that supports the idea of objective righteousness. Lee provides 1 Cor 1:30 and Rom 3:26.

But after that, it is strictly what Lee says. He pontificates for 187 of the 218 words found in this note with not even a hint that there is a basis for what he is saying. I see that he does mention a couple of other verses (Matt 22:11-12 and Rev 19:7-8) but they are not in support of the proposition that there is a subjective righteousness, rather support for other items which he claims comes from the subjective righteousness.

He continues to write:
Quote:
The righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees is the righteousness of letters, which they practiced by their own life according to the old law of letters; the surpassing righteousness of the kingdom people is the righteousness of life, which they live out by taking Christ as their life according to the new law of life. Both in nature and in standard, the righteousness of life far surpasses the lifeless righteousness practiced by the scribes and Pharisees.
It is true that the scribes and the Pharisees practiced the old "law of letters." But there is nothing here or anywhere else that dictates that it was the fact of doing it "by their own life" that was a problem.

I do not say that there is nothing true in this footnote. But its primary thrust creates a false sense of our part in the process of living righteously. Lee has made some necessary component that Christians can miss out of something that they always have. Jesus did not say to believe in Him and keep digging inward to find Him and sin no more. He said to go and sin no more. I think that Peter's "you have everything you need" statement sums it up nicely. We have it. We don't need to figure out how to exercise out spirit, but how to exercise ourselves unto righteousness.

Besides, how else do we live God's life than by believing in Jesus and living according to what is commanded.

While I spent a bit of time on my take on Lee's theology, it is more noteworthy that Lee had a lot to say, but not much support for what he said, And I believe it should be evident that what he said is not consistent with what the scriptures say elsewhere.

In short, an opinion not supported by anything. And he honestly didn't support it. Just said it.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote