View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #51
ExChurchKidd

Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNPaaneah View Post
Can you expound a little more on why you lost your relationship with your parents and how that might be restored? It seems an unnecessary loss since you are now married.
Hi!

It's been a few years since I have been on and looked at questions, but I'm happy to respond to this now that the situation is different! A little reflection I guess.
My parents did not approve of my relationship or my marriage to my husband. On my wedding day, my mom literally said "I'm not happy you're marrying him" because they felt I was being led away from Christ by leaving the LR. My mom thought he was "like the Devil leading me away from Christ." I avoided them a lot because it was always so awkward and my mom didn't seem to have anything to say to me anymore. I was always very close to my parents, so it definitely hurt and felt like a hole was left in my heart.

Now in 2021, my relationship with my parents is much better. There is still some awkwardness and uncomfortable feelings, as we haven't confronted or discussed my leaving up front, but I can hang out with my family in a normal way now. I think my parents have come to accept that I left and that I haven't become less of a Christian because of it, so they can't really complain!