View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #67
bearbear

Default Re: How to help people whose friends and relatives are active members of th

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Witness Lee rely on concordances and interlinears just like the rest of us Greek-less peons? Did he know Greek?

By your wife's argument, seminary is a valuable credential to have. If I were to do life all over again I'd probably gravitate towards seminary so I could learn biblical Greek and Hebrew.

However Greek and Hebrew are not necessary for knowing the truth. Jesus warns us against relying too heavily on fallible teachers by teaching us to only consider our Father in heaven as our Teacher (Matt 23:8). Paul even uses the term teachers sparingly but seemed to prefer terms like "guides" (1 Cor 4:15)

We can know the truth when we're born again because we have the Spirit of truth who guides us to all truth living in us. God is truth and when he lives in us and we live in him and on his words we'll know the truth.

John 16:13
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.

2 John 1:2
because the truth lives in us and will be with us forever

1 John 2:4
If someone claims, “I know God,” but doesn’t obey God’s commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth.

The test of if someone is living in the truth is based on whether they are obey the Lord with their lifestyle, because that's a sign the Holy Spirit is living in them.

Ezekiel 36:27
And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations.

If someone claims to be a teacher of the truth of God but unrepentantly launders money, covers up and makes excuses for the sexual violations of his son on his flock and defraud saints, this person is probably not living in the truth and therefore not being guided by the Holy Spirit.
bearbear is online now   Reply With Quote