View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 01:47 PM   #315
Awoken

Default Re: What is the Lord's economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantStar View Post
This confused me immensely. Are they saying that Good is Evil? That doesn't make sense.
Very late to the party here but I wanted to comment on this as it's something I've been thinking about since leaving the LC. WL in his theology talks a lot about the Tree of Life vs. the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, how one represents life/dependence on God, the other represents independence/oneness with Satan. However, that's a false dichotomy and is un-Biblical. The Bible never says the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil IS evil. In fact, God reviewed His entire creation after making and said it was ALL good. Presumably this included the TotKoGaE. Nothing is ever said to be inherently wrong about that tree in and of itself, the problem is that man DISOBEYED God and ate it when God told them that they shouldn't. The disobedience was the problem, not the tree directly. For all we know the tree may represent moral maturity and the fact that eventually we ARE supposed to be able to discern righteousness (in fact I sorta suspect it does), however, in his infantile state in the Garden of Eden man might not have been ready for that so God told him not to eat of it because if he did, he would sin and thus definitely die. Seems like God knew what He was talking about...

Hebrews 5:14: But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

(So, uh, how is that tree so bad, again, in light of what the Apostle Paul says above? I'll put it another way, is sex bad (in the proper context of marriage at the proper age)? Is sex when you are 3 years old bad?)

Anyway, that's my two cents for the day!
Awoken is offline   Reply With Quote