View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #258
aron

Default Re: What if?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron View Post
If you look at the RecV, the word used in Acts 12:26 and 6:1,2 is translated 'dispensing', and the footnote says it's the same as in the gospel passage where angels 'ministered' to Jesus (Mark 1:13; Matt 4:11). Evidently it means 'to care for' in some overt way. Oftentimes we use the word 'care' as in emotional attachment, but this is a series of actions flowing out from an emotional connection. It might also be translated, 'tend to' or 'look after'.
I read an affirmation of the idea of "look after" via material care, in the epistle "Didache". This epistle is an early witness to the gospels, quoting them extensively and providing commentary.

One comment it gives is on alms-giving. It says that one should be careful to whom one gives gifts. In an analogy of "do not cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them, and turn and rend you", the Didache says, "When you have alms to give, let them sweat in your palms before you know to whom to give them". In other words, find out who in "God's economy" these are intended for.

Now, in the early days, one merely used the Twelve as a clearing-house. "And they took their possessions, and sold them, and laid them at the feet of the disciples". ~Acts 4:35 Pretty simple. And with Paul, there is continuation: "And they (the apostles in Jerusalem) urged us to continue to remember the poor, which very thing we were eager to do." ~Gal 2:10

Paul's epistles continue the theme. Romans 15:24 I hope to see you while passing through and to have you assist me on my journey there, after I have enjoyed your company for a while. 25 Now, however, I am on my way to Jerusalem in the service of the Lord’s people there. 26 For Macedonia and Achaia were pleased to make a contribution for the poor among the Lord’s people in Jerusalem. 27 They were pleased to do it, and indeed they owe it to them. For if the Gentiles have shared in the Jews’ spiritual blessings, they owe it to the Jews to share with them their material blessings. 28 So after I have completed this task and have made sure that they have received this contribution, I will go to Spain and visit you on the way.

1 Cor 16:1 Now about the collection for the saints, you are to do as I directed the churches of Galatia: 2 On the first day of every week, each of you should set aside a portion of his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will be needed. 3 Then, on my arrival, I will send letters with those you recommend to carry your gift to Jerusalem.…

Not to mention 2 Cor 7 and 8 -- two entire chapters on the subject.

Clearly we can see "God's economy" as a continuation of the pattern in the Gospels: "Lord, we have given up everything to follow you - what will there be for us? ~Matt 19:27; and "The women ministered to Jesus out of their substance" ~Luke 8:3; and "Judas held the [common] purse" ~John 12:6; 13:29 and the [gentile] Magi bringing precious gifts ~Matt 2:11; culminating in "and the nations brought their glory into it (The New Jerusalem") ~Rev 21:24;26.

All this fulfilled the prophetic word by Isaiah that the nations would stream to the Holy Mountain to worship God. ~Isa 2:2; 66:20. Witness Lee stressed teaching God's economy, which is in faith (1 Tim 1:4) but he didn't correctly teach us what God's economy actually was. Notice that Paul didn't delineate what God's economy is - Witness Lee supplies the contents from his own imagination. The complete record of the NT, and its referents in the OT may give a better understanding of "God's economy which is in faith" than "the Last Adam became a life-giving spirit" and "the spirit witnesses with your spirit".

There's a "dispensing" repeatedly shown in the NT, which Lee seemed to take pains to ignore. Perhaps because it conflicted with his version of "dispensing" in his proprietary "God's economy".