Thread: Smoking Gun?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #283
awareness

Default Re: Smoking Gun?

I can testify bro EvanG that this is true in churches here in my neck of the woods, except for the devoted conservative believers. They know and read their Bible, but are few in numbers. Some of them are my Southern Baptist family members.

That doesn't mean that I've haven't been called out for feeding meat to milk drinkers, in the adult Sunday School class, by the preacher, who was leading the class.

But I should also point out that, eating lunch with them after services I found out that they were similar to the early NT church days, in that they didn't read anything, not just the Bible. And they didn't have the excuse that NT believers had, unlike 90% back then, that were literate. In their defense, most of them are farmers, with little time and energy to read anything. Having lunch with one of the elders I was told they get their Bible from the preacher, who had massive amounts of the Bible memorized (like David Koresh of Waco fame).

Still, I must point out that teaching young people the Bible is not a magic pill. Example, one daughter of a brother I knew in the LC knew her Bible well enough to write a thesis in high school on how David and Jonathan were gay, or at least bisexual. I read it. It was a strong argument, with many Bible references. She knew her Bible. She was gay.

I mentioned David Koresh, a cult leader. When I joined the LC I had a choice to join the Children of God. They had to memorize 10 verses of the Bible every day. The Children of God was/is a personality cult too, just like Lee's local church, that's not quite as extreme. Proving that, just because a Christian group teaches the Bible doesn't mean they aren't a cult. Cults memorize the Bible too.