View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #231
OBW

Default Re: What is God's Economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
The term Christ means something specific and also something very general.
Sort of reminds me when everyone went "oooohhhh, aaaaahhhh!!!" when someone once said " I was impressed, struck, and touched" followed by nothing that specifically make those three somewhat different effects meaningful.

To refer to Christ as a term that is specific and general is just silly. While "Christ" is more than a title, it is all specific to the One that is call Christ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
God's economy then is also something specific or something very general. God's economy is the plan of the One who made everything and for whom everything exists.

When you say God's economy is ridiculous you are saying God's salvation is ridiculous (because that is what it means).
It is clear that you do not have much understanding, or intend to misrepresent and thereby avoid actually defending your interpretations of things.

And if all it means it God's salvation, then it cannot be trotted-out to dismiss the writings of James, or of so much of the Psalms. Or to dismiss the clear meaning in the beginning of Colossians and replace it with something that is not there.

And on and on.

"God's salvation" does not mean that whatever it was that Lee had such disdain for in James is actually false and therefore only useful to learn what not to do. While I do not subscribe to the universal application of the warning in Revelation concerning taking anything from the "book of this prophecy," those that do should be screaming a Lee.

What you want to recast as saying "God's economy is ridiculous" was to say that the use of the very broad term "God's economy" is meaningless in the analysis of other things because of its breadth of what it means. It has nothing in it that makes any point.

Instead, you need to find the actual passages that speak in your favor, or against what I am saying. Providing the name of an overlay is not meaningful in the discussion because it provides no basis for consideration. The hollow claim that "God's economy" covers everything does not mean that your understanding of what is in it that speaks to any particular issue is the correct understanding. You have to actually deal with the specific scripture that speaks to it. Not cast the spell of "God's economy" over it.

I have great respect for the whole of God's plan, which is much more than just salvation. But the thing that you have made out of it is not meaningful. God's economy is a legitimate overlay on all that God is and does. But to deal with any issue, you need to have the details of that for the task. Not the overlay. As simply an overlay, it is virtually useless.

Just saying "God's economy" does not provide any basis to accept your version of anything. It just suggests that you do not have the knowledge to actually deal with the issues begin discussed and instead resort to speaking fancy words to cover for that lack.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote