View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #82
OBW

Default Re: "Become" or "Not Become" Interpreting 1Cor 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoHim View Post
Why then the need for biblical and systematic theology?
You did well with the answer to your own question.

But for me, the thing I consider is that while the average Joe/Jane in the Christian community does not need to know and understand so much that is borderline esoteric theology, having some around who do helps in providing the kinds of talks we need when we become like the Corinthians, or the Philippians, etc., and get sideways in our orthopraxy — in our practice. And when I read through the things that Paul talked about (as well as Peter, John, James, etc.) it is interesting that while there are truly spiritual things that we need to be engaged in, so much of it — whether within the community of faith or out living in the world — is practical. But sometimes we get messed up in our practice, whether it is how we practice having meetings, how we treat each other in general, and how we interact with the world around us.

Someone needs to come along and say "don't forget that you are crucified with Christ," or "set your mind on the Spirit and you will fulfill the righteous commandment of God," or "submit yourselves one to another," or "love your neighbor as much as you love yourself." (And don't just hate yourself so you can get away with hating them too.) And they need to have a reason, not just an opinion. Some good systematic theology helps them know the reason. I don't need to understand the meaning of substitutionary atonement . . . I need to believe in Christ and obtain it without the words ever being said. But sometimes, if I get to thinking that there is no way that God could love me and forgive me, I need someone who knows what a bunch of those things mean, and knows how to bring it down to my level. Those are the leaders who are servants to all. And worthy of their pay (and then some).
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote