View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post

I look forward to profitable fellowship and not the wrangling of words that was happening on the other forum.
I was considering the word "moderate" when the Moderator was recently removed on the other forum. A Moderator should moderate between the two extremes. If the Moderators are themselves extremists, the opportunity for profitable fellowship is greatly diminished.

A moderate person is able to look beyond themselves for further aspects of reality. An extremist, on the other hand, claims to have already laid hold of the truth, complete and entire, and any modification is by definition impossible.

As a christian, I have chosen Christ and any other option for me is closed. To the world, I may thus seem closed-minded and extreme. But I defend my position in the same way I have chosen a wife. I will not consider any other woman, not because mine is better, but because I have chosen. And likewise, by the same token, one day I chose Christ. I limited my options to Jesus the Nazarene.

But as a christian, my journey into the reality of what first beckoned me the day I 'saw' Jesus there ministering to the needy and oppressed world, that journey continues, hopefully. And for that journey I need the fellowship of others who have experienced things I still lack, and others who are interested in my experiences of Christ.

The world is already full of profitless, adversarial exchanges among people who are convinced they are right. When we admit that we 'have not yet laid hold', I think we can have fellowship. I certainly prefer the latter to the former.
aron is offline   Reply With Quote