View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
JJ

Default Quotes and Quips

I’ve often had a reaction to the Quotes and Quips post of the day on these boards.

Today’s Witness Wednesday quote really got me riled up because I used to believe this stuff. Here’s the quote:

“Our spirit is connected to the heavens by God as the Spirit. In spirit we are therefore in the heavens, in ascension. To live in ascension requires that we live, act, move, and do everything in our spirit. Thus, we must learn how to discern our spirit. If we do not know our spirit, if we do not know how to discern our spirit from our soul, we cannot be a spiritual person. When we live in our spirit, we are in ascension as the new creation in resurrection. We are a new person living in a new universe.”

I have a number of problems with the part in bold:

1. It makes us work for something “being ascended with Christ” that is already a given (see Ephesians 2 where we have been raised up together with Christ and seated together with Him in the heavens). What a waste of time!
2. It ends up being so self centered (I count eight “we”s) instead of God, Christ, and Holy Spirit centered.
3. This type of thinking leads to comparing oneself to other believers (“I know my spirit better than you” or “I don’t know my spirit like he or she does”) which leads to division.
4. What has this type of ministry produced in 50 years that makes us think there isn’t a problem with it, and head back into scripture instead of reading this stuff?
And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14 NASB)
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote