View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #136
Cal

Default Re: From a concerned parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Ham was not cursed, Canaan was cursed. We have lots of discussion on that story.

Needless to say, the self-serving LC version of "covering the misdeeds of our leaders" is a whole lot more like the Chinese culture, than it is about the Bible.
Yes, we've had discussions about Noah's cursing of his family. I actually think it means pretty much the opposite of what Lee said it did.

First, I think it shows that no matter how spiritual you think a leader is, he is still capable of some really rotten things.

Second, I think it shows how authority can be terribly abused and wreak havoc on future generations.

Third, I think it shows us to watch what we say to those under us. Noah's curse became reality, but that's not a good thing. If you tell your child over and over, "You'll never amount to anything" and he doesn't, is that a prophesy? No, you destroyed his self-esteem.

Anyone who thinks God backed or honored Noah's cursing doesn't know God. God didn't back Noah's cursing any more than he backs a murderer's killing. Just because the victim is dead doesn't mean God backed it.

The idea that God honored Noah's cursing because Noah was the great poobah is some of the stupidest commentary I've ever heard. Noah's curse carried weight because he abused his authority, and the result was destruction.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote