View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #92
aron

Default Re: LSM versus Christian teaching, 1965 - 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
Or maybe what you have been told about the church is wrong.
Evangelical says scriptural narrative is all about Christ and the church; one could just as easily say add another party and say that the Bible is about Jesus, the church, and Satan/Mystery Babylon. After all, S/MB enters prominently in Genesis 3 and never quits the scene until Revelation 20! S/MB is creation that stops looking at her Creator, and begins to regard herself. (In the church, by contrast, the narrative is all about her Husband).

People who make the Church the linchpin of their teaching remind me nothing so much as this - MB saying, "I sit a queen and am no widow". All pretension and no reality. Jesus is the reality. Period.

No, it's about Jesus Christ. He's the one who loved and obeyed the Father's law, since he loved the Father and saw the Father always before him. He loved every word that proceeded out of the Father's mouth! Yes, even in the law. He was the tree planted by streams of water, whose leaf never withered, bearing much fruit in season. Whatever he did, he prospered. Our job is to see him, and not ourselves. "To me, to live is Christ".

To me, Psalm 1 is about Jesus Christ, not about the law, the vanity of the psalmist's mind, or Lee's "NT believer enjoying grace". We can avail ourselves of other Christian-oriented scholars. As an example, I've referenced Guy G. Stroumsa. If you want to see the Epistle to the Hebrews' use of psalms to show Christ made a little lower than the angels, then raised to glory and honour, Stroumsa has done useful work.

"I am determined to know nothing while I'm among you, save the crucified Jesus".