View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #97
kumbaya

Default Re: Signs of Decline in LSMs Recovery - Tomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Like so many others, I experienced the pressure first-hand to attend the FTT. Thankfully I never attended, but the fact that they attempt to pressure people into attending is disturbing to say the least. I don't know that the FTT was conceived with ill motives, but what they are trying to accomplish, and the means by which they go about it is as you say - disgusting.

I have known quite a few who attended the FTT. The difference before and after is remarkable, and not in a good way. Personalities change, people become cold and distant, it is sad.

Also, the usage of the FTT to arrange and orchestrate relationships and marriages is one of the things that I find to be the most concerning and questionable. If those in charge have that much control over young and impressionable trainees, then they essentially have the ability to control them in any way they want.

I agree with you that I don't know that there are ill motives. I definitely believe they are disillusioned motives. I always heard growing up in the LC (I don't know if it's LC lingo, our locality, or just our family) that, "You are who you are until you're different."

Well, administrators of the FTT- you've been asked to look at your techniques in teaching these "trainees" for some time now. At what point is using these "thought reform" techniques just willful ignorance or an intentional practice? Neither of them are ok....

I recieve emails from someone in the training right now that I don't even know, it's kind of funny. I guess I got on his email "update" list somehow. It's exactly the same tone and wording I got from the updates when my family member was in- very strange.

I agree with you on being concerned about the marriage issue. I have a friend who married after meeting their spouse in the FTT- they're divorced now. Obviously, everyone is different and I'm not saying that's the case for everyone. But to think you really know someone after serving with them on campus for maybe 2 years tops, never being alone, and just having "fellowship" and maybe 3 dates, is unreasonable.
You're being set up to fail because it's already become your idol- not natural at all. Just sad.

But- this is not LIFE, thank GOODNESS!!!!! Praise God that this is not life. I hope it's not the lives of most trainees but from experience just seeing it, from the outside it seems to be the case.
kumbaya is offline   Reply With Quote