Thread: Whistleblower
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
Nell
Admin/Moderator

Default Re: Whistleblower: History of Sexual Abuse in the Local Church

History of Sexual Abuse in the Local Church

This is the earliest instance of sexual immorality, known to me, in the Local Church. Watchman Nee's immorality was not made public until the last few years. Witness Lee's son, Philip was a predator and was reported by the sister in "the office" to John Ingalls as described below. The events that followed resulted in a disaster in the Church in Anaheim which included the excommunication of Philip Lee. In another instance, a brother walked in on Philip and a sister in "the office." The brother was devastated and reported what he saw to Max Rapoport.

In the cases I will bring to the forefront, Witness Lee's solution was a coverup. We can also surmise that the situation continues today because of Lee's disastrous failures.

I have heard stories about sexual immorality in the Local Churches for years. Some of you have probably heard stories as well.

Below are excerpts from Speaking the Truth in Love by John Ingalls which is posted on this forum here where the elders attempted to reason with Lee on the seriousness of his son's behavior and the need to deal with his son. I also have a copy of this story which was reported in the Los Angeles Times.

John Ingalls (deceased) and Godfred Otuteye were elders in the Church in Anaheim at the time.

A SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT
September 1987

On the following Tuesday, Sept. 29th, Godfred (Otuteye – O two tay) left for a business trip to Europe. On the next day, Wednesday, Sept. 30th, I received a telephone call from a sister who had a prominent position in the Living Stream Ministry Office, asking if she could see me that night. I consented. That evening she sat in my living room and with tears opened her heart to me. She had served sacrificially and faithfully for many years in the LSM office, and now she said she could not tolerate anymore the gross misconduct that was being perpetrated upon some and especially upon her. I had been acquainted with this sister for many years and knew her to be faithful, upright, and trustworthy; therefore, I took her word very seriously. I was amazed that she could put up with such conduct for so long. She stated that she tolerated it only for the sake of Brother Lee and his ministry. She said that she had no other recourse but to resign. I confirmed her intention.

That conversation utterly shocked me. I deeply felt that something must be done to acquaint Brother Lee with the situation and to let him know that we would not tolerate it. I obtained Godfred’s telephone number in Europe and called him a soon as the difference in time zones permitted, telling him the things that had come to my ears. Godfred listened and said that he already knew it. I was amazed. That night I considered what could be done. That we had to go to Brother Lee I was certain.

PART TWO
ANOTHER SHOCKING DEVELOPMENT
December 19,1987

In the morning of December 19, just before Ken and I were to leave for Texas that afternoon, the sister from the LSM office who had spoken to me on September 30th (see page 10) called and asked to speak to Godfred and me. We met with her and were utterly amazed at what we heard. She began to relate to us in detail some of the things she suffered while in the service of the LSM office. She wanted us to realize how grave the problem was. We were revulsed to the depths of our being, and when the conversation ended and we parted, we so full of abhorrent feelings that we were literally in a daze.

Godfred drove me to the airport to meet Ken. We were in a state of shock and utter disgust. All this had taken place in what we called the Lord’s recovery! We felt that Benson Phillips and Ray Graver, who were deeply involved in the LSM operation, must surely know something of these matters. Therefore, we resolved to confer with them about this when we got to Irving.

At this time Witness Lee could have put a leash on his son Philip but he did not.

More to come.

Nell

Last edited by Nell; 01-27-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote