View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 05:58 PM   #907
OBW

Default Re: How Much To Throw Out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVee View Post
I was addressing power as it is revealed in the Scripture. I am an outsider to the LC, so I can't address how authority has been abused in the LC.
And the particular discussion was about how Nee used (or misused) scripture to establish teachings/doctrines that were not actually supported by the scripture. The fact that God has power and authority does not make them synonymous. Neither the fact that they are at least somewhat needed together to really accomplish things.

To drive on the freeway, I need a car, and gas. Gas does nothing by itself. Neither does a car. But if the discussion is about vehicles but all you can find is descriptions of gas, then claiming they are synonyms does not make changing the discussion to be about gas any more meaningful relating to vehicles.

Not a very good example. But I think you can see what I mean.

How the scripture uses power and authority does not appear to infer that they are synonyms or that one could substitute for the other. And if that is the case, then Nee's biblical exegesis (taking from the Bible) turns into eisigesis (sp?) or reading into the bible. Or in Nee's case, forcing a reading onto the Bible that is not there for the purpose of getting a different result out of it.

I still think he believed he was right. Not just being devious. But that creates a whole different series of questions about him that no one has really asked.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote