View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #24
aron

Default Re: Daughter wants to leave for FTTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
Since I heard of this concern last December I have continued to pray for all involved. Last night I read the responses and thought Drake made a good point to see if the family could visit the training center and contact the mother who is involved with with the daughter. Two of my children passed through that Bible school and I was concerned enough to take a week to join them to see what it was like. I stayed at the training center with my son and participated in all of the activities. I ate with them, prayed with them, studied the Bible with them, witnessed with them. I observed their behavior and manner of life in the training center, in homes, in service, and before outsiders. This helped me a lot to understand and support my children then and now.
The problem with investigation is, at what point do you stop? Just visit LSM and get their side of the narrative? How about talking to the myriads of broken souls spit out of their system, who couldn't be sufficiently "one" with the overseers? How much weight to give such complaints? The LSM publishes "Affirmation and Critique" of other Christian walks, shouldn't they also allow critique? Why is everyone who discusses a bad experience there branded as having a dark heart, rebellious against God, etc?

I know a lot of people give glowing testimonials. But so do the Mormons. How to objectively assess this group?

I lived in a "brother's house" for years in college. Was very active. Had a great time and left on good terms (I was dissatisfied with the direction things were going and wanted to pursue other opportunities). Started out again, in a homeless shelter. Just kept going, but "positive for the ministry" and its teachings.

Later, I read the testimonies of many and realized others were not as fortunate as I was. Then I began to critically examine their ideas and began to realize why so many had a bad time of it. I began to post my critiques on another forum populated by LSM loyalists, and they let me know on no uncertain terms how I was slandering God's elect etc. What an eye-opener that was! How come LSM can critique everyone else?