View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #145
Ohio

Default Re: I love the local church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ohio, you ask some very good questions to which I would like to make an attempt to reply.

Generally, the problem among Christians today is a lack of balance; they go to extremes. Believers either place certain ones above reproach or they criticize endlessly without properly investigating. Should apostles, workers, or ministers out in the field be given honor? Yes, they should. And what of apostles/workers/ministers that are found to be in sin or cause division among the believers?

Here we can take our cue from the Scriptures. First, in the church in Ephesus, the Lord commended the Ephesian believers of their ability to discern the false apostles (Rev. 2:2). It is interesting to note that this was done by the church and not by representative group within the church. This is made evidently clear as the letter was written to the assembly, and not a specific representative group.

A fellow member of the faith.
Fellow member of the faith, you make some good points here, and I definitely agree that many today "go to extremes." Can you clarify for me how you would distinguish between "the church" (referred to in the Lord's word to Ephesus) and a "representative group within the church"? The church, of course, is composed of Christians, so this point can be used, or misused, by some who are motivated by self-interests.

For example, and this example is a very real one, let's say that the leading minister has been charged with egregious failures. Being a dominant personality, and knowing that the other elders are also "paid staff," he is able to silence their concerns, and focus only on the "good fruit" of the ministry. He has been effectively doing this for years. Many saints, however, have been hurt by these "failures," and begin to cry out for justice. Consequently certain notable men within the congregation, a "representative group," call attention to these failures.

Which voice is really the voice of the church? Is it the dominant leader or the congregation? In this environment how can they "try those who call themselves apostles?" Are there not dangers here by not listening to the congregation. If we don't allow "representative groups" to speak out for righteousness and truth, then we may just give license to evil leaders. Was this not the plight of the Reformers? Did not the recognized church always attempt to silence those who would speak up, even at the risk of their own life?

I hate to nit-pick your first point, but since you made it, it must be important to you, and worthy of further clarification.

Thanks, Ohio.