Thread: A Word of Love
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #92
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: A Word of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
Where does it make this commission to all? You are presuming. Give me a reason for accepting that a word given in such an obviously and overtly specific manner to only 11, and not the 100 or more other followers, is "this incredible commission to all." You haven't even tried to do that. You just presume that it should be so. It surely isn't because of the context. So what is the reason? Make a point. Don't just restate mine into things I didn't say.

Or at least give me a reason to consider that it is reasonably plausible. I have done that for you. And you have never actually responded to my point, but made out as if I have diminished the whole of Matthew to instructions for clergy.
Fair enough, this is taken from Romans 1.

Romans
1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
1:6 Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:

Verse 5 is clearly referring to his commission as an apostle, and in this context Paul says “that we also are the called of Jesus Christ”. In verse 1 Paul said he was “called to be an apostle”. In literally the same sentence he says that we also are the called of Jesus Christ.

1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.

The glory to Jesus is not that the faith of 11 apostles (and Paul who was not there to receive that specific word) is spoken of, but that the faith of those that receive the gospel is spoken of throughout the whole world. This is the evidence of a resurrected and ascended Lord. You can not dismiss this as a few gullible followers of one extraordinary man.

1:11 For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established;
1:12 That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.

There is a mutual faith. If your interpretation is correct, then the Lord spoke to the 11 who had the faith to receive and act on that word. But according to Paul that faith is then transmitted to those that hear and it is now a “mutual faith”. How do you still distinguish between his faith and our faith?

1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek

All power is given unto the Lord for what? For salvation. Now according to Paul that promise of all power is unto every one that believeth.

Now I could go through many other places as well. Prior to this I quoted the verse in Peter that we have been given like precious faith. I also quoted the verse in Matthew that "man shall live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God". Hebrews is especially good at covering this topic, and I referred to that when I said that Jesus is the author and perfector of our faith. Galatians is another excellent book on this subject and I referred to that when I mentioned this being "a different gospel".