View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #212
OBW

Default Re: The Bible Answer Man Converts to The Eastern Orthodox Church!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
You have mistakenly assumed that just because the bible is silent about these church things it means we are free to do as we please and there are no rules.
I would not agree. There are many rules. But the naming convention for a church was not one of them. Neither was the "boundary" for an assembly.

I would counter by saying that just because you would like for there to be a rule does not mean that an observation can become the rule you seek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
I don't know what sort of reason you think Drake and I would have for wanting them to follow us. We get no benefit from that.
I would agree that you get no benefit from that. At least not personally. But your leaders do. They believe that the turn of people to their rules means a turn of people to their other doctrines. They think that because they were there first, they control the outcomes of all others who might eventually agree with them

But actually you do get a benefit, though you may not realize it. If everyone starts to come your way, you find that you were right to be so dogmatic and are justified in your sense of spiritual superiority. I believe that this may actually blind you to what is wrong with your positions. If you hare wrong, then you have to consider what else you might have been taught incorrectly. Many here have been through that. Some come out thinking that it is just about throwing off the bad leadership of the BBs. But almost all slowly realize that it is much more than that. It is a litany of both small and large errors in teaching that rob us of real Christian fellowship, perspective, obedience, and living.

I know that in my days in the LRC, I was never skeptical of what was told to me by Lee or his underlings. I simply took what he said as if it was coming from the oracle of God. Just ignored any warnings going off inside.

Lee explained a lot by saying "this is simply that" or telling a good-sounding story as if it is better than scripture. I don't buy that anymore.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote