View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
Cal

Default Re: Does 2 Peter 2's warning of false teachers describe Witness Lee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbear View Post
My dad said the same things to me when we were discussing 1 Cor 3. I'll just describe my understanding of this matter.
Presumably your association of these verses has something to do with the use of the English word "destroy" in them.

However, the words translated "destroy" in 1 Cor 3:17, 1 Cor 6:13 and Matthew 10:28 are actually three completely different Greek words.

In 1 Cor 3:17 the word is phtherei, which means literally "SHALL BE CORRUPTING." The meaning is that if you attempt to corrupt the temple of God you will only succeed in being corrupted yourself.

In 1 Cor 6:13 the Greek word is katargEsei, which literally means "SHALL BE DOWN-UN-ACTING" or, anglicized, "shall be discarding." It implies doing away with something that isn't needed anymore. It isn't about judgment. Food and stomachs will not be needed in the next age.

In Matthew 10:28 the Greek word is apolesai, which this time does directly translate to our English "destroy."

bearbear, I wish you'd worry less about free grace* and more about your free misuse of scripture to back your pet doctrine. Seriously.

* All grace is free, by definition. So to complain about free grace is to complain about grace itself. Mocking free grace makes as much sense as mocking wet water.

This reminds me of Calvinists who argue (cleverly they think) that "free will" is not found in the Bible. Well, duh. Will is not will unless it's free. If it's not free it's programming, not will. Likewise grace isn't grace unless it's free. Let's try to keep things straight.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote