View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #232
Evangelical

Default Re: Now's good - byHismercy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo S View Post
"Ha" may not point to a specific name but it does point to a single specific person. The term Satan was never applied "generically" in scripture to multiple different entities. It always pointed to one specific person, the devil. Scripture doesn't give us the God given name to the fallen angel known as Satan or Beezlebub but a few extra biblical sources do make mention of Satan's angelic name. I can't speak to the validity of those sources however.
"the satan" can refer to an individual such as Satan but it does not have to refer to the fallen archangel. It can refer to an angel, a person, or any adversarial thing. This is why it is a generic term. See the Wikipedia article I quoted previously.

Also, consider that Christians often use the term satan in a generic way, just as Christ did when he told Peter to "get behind me satan". Jesus obviously did not mean that Peter was Satan, or even that Satan had entered Peter just as Satan entered Judas. It was Peter's own human reasoning "the things of men" that was an adversary to Christ, so Christ called him satan.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote