View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #15
aron

Default Re: Can I be candid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindnessNotBlindness View Post
I do not read the Bible anymore because I promise you it's a comical read to me. Peace to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria View Post
I'd appreciate clarity. I would like to stick around, but if this really is just LC-Lite, then I really don't belong here.
I've been looking for other voices to find this forum for a long time. Hope you stick around.

#1 If there is a God, then He/She/It/Them probably is kooler with people who "don't believe", at least overtly/consciously, than with people who ram-rod their concepts down every one else's throats. That's my two cents, as an "evangelical Christian". Card-carrying, to boot.

Being nice is not theology, it is behavior, repeated behavior.

#2 It is good to hear from those who don't see things the way that you do. I really appreciate other perspectives. Even though I still call myself an evangelical Christian, my idea of the "gospel" has drastically changed over the past 5 years (I've been out of the LC for about 15 years). So how do I know it won't continue to evolve? Why be dogmatic? Jesus taught, do unto others . . . so if I want others to listen to me, I have to listen to others. Basic stuff here.

#3 We really need your voices to "speak truth to power" here, because the Christian view imho has been very very warped by temporal, earthly power, for centuries. It is worth noting that Jesus was offered temporal earthly power repeatedly, and repeatedly refused it.

"The crowd wanted to make Him king, but Jesus refused it"

and

"He continually withdrew"

and

"Who made me ruler over you?" (to the one who wanted Jesus to tell someone else to do something).

and

"Whoever wants to be great, be the last in stature"

etc.

So alternative views give us a chance to live what we talk. To treat "others" as if they was "us". Cuz they is "us".

You are not alone, at all. Just typically silent in these kinds of venues. In my "old locality" we had about 50 "young people" there 25 years ago. At least 30 every week, with another 20 or so in and out regularly. The last time I checked there were two still there. The rest were gone. How "local" is that? They were either "in the world" or "serving the ministry". Maybe a few had moved away and were meeting elsewhere. But the vast majority were gone.

Lastly, where I work we have Muslims, Christians, overt homosexuals, and the great indifferent masses. And we all get along. We all are part of the same team. Like I said, "they" is really "us". It's pretty basic. And I think that it approaches the Christian view. You know, love one another; not just the 'lovable' or 'lovely' ones.

So anyway, welcome home.