View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #27
awareness

Default Re: Can I be candid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria View Post
You can be as condescending as you like. I can also take it. I just don't put up with it. It kinda doesn't seem like you can, though...

I *am* a little raw, true, particularly after the things coming up from joining here and what it brings back. As to not being "ready," it's been years since I was in the LC. I've done plenty of processing. I would not say I'm easily offended, and I'm certainly knowledgeable about the topic. Also, I love discussing it when people are interested.

What I'm struggling to understand is why you would be surprised that question would be offensive? I realize that most of the time when people say things like what I listed, they have no idea they are being offensive. But I feel like for thinking people, it should not be too much of a stretch to consider their words when talking to someone of a different background. Sure we can discuss it openly. But I have to say, I don't quite understand exactly why you would not think that telling a person their religion involves fake deities might not be offensive, and even deliberate?
Okay, I understand now. The pagan gods are real to you. Which ones? All of them? I guess I've been spoiled. I'm a big fan of mythology, and have read many books on it, many by Joseph Campbell, the MOTA of a different sort, the Mythologist of the Age ; books like "A Hero with a Thousand Faces," and "Masks of God" - 4 books : Primitive Mythology, Oriental Mythology, Occidental Mythology, and Creative Mythology. They cover the whole gambit of gods, all the way back to the first and only universal religion on planet earth (that we know about): Animism.

So my question about your paganism, and gods that are figments was no big deal to me. There are thousands of them. All the mega-myths of old, that provided cohesion to early civilizations, are now considered false constructs, or figments if you will. But even tho they were false they were still functional. Beliefs don't have to be real to produce positive results. Early civilization builders believed that the purpose of humans were to serve the gods, and that their leader was God's representative on earth. So they served the leader. We have the Pyramids because of those beliefs. They were false beliefs, but still worked to build civilizations.

I was honestly hoping you would tell me what you like about paganism. But okay. I screwed up, and called your gods phony. You don't know me yet, but I've said that out here about the depiction of God in the Old Testament ... and in the book of Revelation. I think those are phony depictions of God ... and have taken heat for saying it, as expected.

I don't have any problems discussing these kinds of things. And I know it upsets believers. But that's where I have arrived after years of coming out of the local church. Just as you have arrived at paganism, and your friend Kindness, that has arrived at atheism (to no gods whatsoever).

I guess we all have different paths. I think I've pointed that out with exLCer friends that I have.

Maybe we just got off on the wrong foot. My bad. Sorry. Let's try again.