View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #39
OBW

Default Re: Just Left the 'Recovery'. What a Relief.

Bradley,

A tough subject. Yes there are a whole bunch of ways to declare it. A litany of WWJD declarations to be made.

What is missing from this is that you (and I) are dealing with the will and commands of the God of the universe. The one who made it all and can end it all. Don't think of it in terms of "have to" or a command on you. Rather, it is a fact that should be considered when deciding who you are going to serve.

As the great American philosopher, Bob Dylan, once said "You gotta serve somebody . . . it may be the devil or it may the Lord . . ."

And the truth is that we are following someone no matter what we think. We are following the ways of this age or the ways of God. We like to think of ourselves as free. Unlike the people of 2,000+ years ago who were all subservient to someone. But the truth is that we are subservient to someone.

So despite our modern fantasy that we are our own person, you have to ask yourself whether you believe that God is who the Bible says he is. If he is, then you will deal with his thoughts on how you "disobey," even if the way that occurs is not what we expect. And maybe the answer is that you decide that you will align your manner of living with the one that you believe is the ultimate ruler and be obedient to him. Understand that none of us do this perfectly. We recognize that we fail at times. Sometimes often.

So do you believe in God? Or simply in the freedom of man to do as he wishes? Something else? Unsure?

And whatever you conclude, do you believe enough to live according to it?

Don't answer me. I am not seeking your admission or your promise to follow any particular way. But if you have been uncertain what to do, then maybe you aren't completely certain what you believe.

I see that you are trying to pick your way through the Bible establishing a "soft reading" so as to avoid error related to the harder readings. But it should be pointed out that in a few places I read you saying that some particular verse meant "X" rather than "Y." Are your really sure about that? Does that reading really follow from what was written? Or is there an overlay required to alter the understanding of the words? One that assumes that the sexual issues only apply in certain situations. That Boaz was only delaying having sex with someone he wasn't married to because he thought someone else had a higher claim to her? Where did you get that? It surely does not say it anywhere. To conclude that is to insert thoughts that are not on the record.

Again, you will need to come to your own conclusion. But at the same time, even if you didn't want to just follow what someone else said, will you at least do more than accept something else without foundation just because it gets you to a result that you might like better?

That is all I ask. Assess the basis for your conclusions. Assess your belief in God. Decide whether you believe he is who the Bible says and, if you agree with it, whether you are ready to buck him anyway. (And if you disagree, then I could try to persuade you, but that is not my forte. But I think you know all the arguments anyway.)

But I believe that Dylan, during his short time of following as a Christian, was correct when he said you have to serve someone. If not God, then who? Yourself? If you believe in God, to you think that the opposite is just you? I sure don't think it is me. I think that we truly serve someone other than ourselves no matter what we think.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote