View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 05:43 AM   #33
aron

Default Re: Arthur M. Casci Testimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
God got "real old" in the temple. So old, in fact, that Jesus went in to liven that place up by flipping tables. Apparently He did that twice, maybe more.

God was also "real old" in the Catholic church I grew up in. I was devoted too. Named after my uncle O.F.M., baptized on the eighth day, 12 years parochial education, 6 years of Latin, first holy communion, confession, altar boy who knew both Latin and English, Sunday choir, yada, yada. Never once did I hear about being born again, seeing His kingdom, God becoming real to me, etc.
I understand your point. When we are young we perceive the options of sin's fleeting pleasures versus the dullness of religious ritual. So when "new and fresh" comes along, where we can "enjoy God", why not? But my warning is that when we are young and lack discernment, the idea of a new and fresh God can be a cover for a different Christ (cf 2 Cor 2:11). Amcasci in his introductory essay which I copied from the web, mentioned this. The lack of discernment makes us easy marks for re-branding a "different Christ" into a "new and fresh Christ", which the Madison Avenue types would be envious of. So we need to beware.

That doesn't mean all our experiences were null and void. But we need discernment. We should preach discernment and not just zeal. Amcasci's title was "Zealous and misled" and if that could sum up a movement it probably does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcasci View Post
The obsession with the "new and fresh" or "the next big thing" blinds one to the ordinary and obvious work of Christ that is ours each day. Our Lord has chosen to communicate His grace and mercy to us through "ordinary" means...preaching, baptism, holy communion, the mutual consolation of the brethren. When these are set aside for "praise bands", "O Lord Jesus" shouting, church growth techniques, etc.,we quickly become hounds chasing the wind and missing the great feast that Christ has plainly put before us.
I believe that that phraseology wasn't in the songs unless WL spoke it repeatedly from the podium. But how much did his obsession with the new, and our acqueiscence, allow us to be buffeted by strange winds? Various "moves" and "flows" were always coming along, with little fruit but much discouragement.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.