Thread: The LCS Factor
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #30
finallyprettyokay

Quote:
Hope wrote: From Finallyprettyokay

I wrote in another thread about his teaching of children being 'wrappers'.

I never heard this until I read your earlier post. I believe it was actually reported to you by an elder. Maybe Lee taught it and maybe something just came up in conversation and this man picked up on some cute expression and wanted to impress someone. I saw that happen on many occassions.
You know, all I can do on this is promise that Witness Lee himself said it. In Anaheim, sometime close to the time my son was born which was in September, 1975. Apparently it didn't make the rounds. That's good.

I went to one burning. Our son had not yet been born, and we lived in Anaheim. That would put it sometime in 1974, I think. I didn't have anything to burn, but went. I couldn't even tell you what anyone burned -- it was a really big fire. It was on the beach, on the sand. I loved being on the beach again.

Family vacations --- just didn't see it happen. Twice a year conferences took the time.

Christmas. I always told my kids that Santa was a really fun pretend guy --- like Big Bird, or Superman. When my oldest son was in junior high he wrote a paper about it. His ending statement was "My mom never made me believe in Santa, and I'm glad she didn't". How cute is that? Well, that's beside the point, I just wanted to take the chance to brag about my son.

Quote:
I would ask everyone to use some discretion about painting the bad family image on everyone. It is a little libilous. I agree with Dennis that it can be counter productive.
You know, I really apologize if I made it sound like I thought everyone had 'bad families'. I don't think that. I do think the schedule we all kept took so much of our time each week. And that there were many 'rules' that kept us from so many important things.

Hope, I was there for 8 years and never knew of a birthday party. Maybe there were secret parties. I don't know. We knew each other's comings and goings pretty well, especially in San Diego (there weren't enough of us to get lost in the crowd). It would have been hard to keep that secret.

I wonder about the difference in experience -- for example, what John writes and what Terry writes, has a lot to do with not only what city a person lived in, but also the time period. Things changed, I think.

Okay, the most important thing here is that WL did say kids were wrappers, and that I don't think every family was 'bad'. Just to sum it all up.

FPO
finallyprettyokay is offline   Reply With Quote