View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #40
Evangelical

Default Re: Christ or faith the Savior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo S View Post
The issue was you didn't do a critical examination of those verses, otherwise you'd have known the Greek term used for the only type of scriptural belief of demons (pisteuo) has multiple meanings depending on the context in which it's used. It could mean simply to think to be true or have a intellectual knowing that per James results in demons "shuttering or trembling" and then there's the pisteuo that is an entrusting which leads to salvation as John refers to.

James 2:19 didn't use the term pisteou in the context of salvation, John 3:16 however did. Therefore, applying the same meaning of pisteou to both verses is error.

Your initial argument didn't acknowledge this alternative as it was based on a presupposition using two unrelated verses in order to push the unscriptural agenda that those having the position of salvation coming through faith alone in Jesus Christ are no different than demons because even demons can pisteou. Number one, that's equivocation, number two your approach would be considered eisegesis not exegesis, and number three your argument acts as a backhanded insult to those that hold the position that salvation is by faith (pistis) alone in Jesus Christ.
But a point of this thread is not to do critical examination of those verses about demonic belief vs a Christian's belief. I even inferred to the difference when I wrote about "genuine faith".

In fact I was comparing the demon's faith with the faith of a person who "only says" but does not truly believe here:

They know that not everyone who says "I believe in Christ" is really saved, and that not everyone who claims a "personal relationship" with Christ really has one.

So your claims are wrong that I am pushing some unscriptural agenda that "those having the position of salvation coming through faith alone in Jesus Christ are no different than demons because even demons can pisteou". I am not comparing genuine saved people to demons, rather, people who only have faith as demons do (and as James meant).

That is your unfounded assertion that cannot be found in my post in anyway. This thread is about full salvation not denying initial salvation of justification by faith alone.
Evangelical is offline   Reply With Quote