View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #4
aron

Default Re: Hope for all you church kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChurchKid View Post
I was in as deep as person could possibly be. If "hooked" had a definition, it would be me. I've been out for about a year and a half now, and I couldn't be more thankful to God ...
I too was "sold out" for the cause, and would try to steer other Christians to the LC. What did they have to offer me? Nothing. They were in "fallen Christianity", which was full of darkness, full of faults. In the LC we had the "recovered truths" and the "proper ground" which ensured that our excitement (yelling slogans, fist pumping) was actually the Holy Spirit ("reality! reality! reality!") and not just manufactured enthusiasm. As for us, we knew "God sees no iniquity in Israel"; yet by contrast all God could see in "poor, degraded Christianity" were faults upon faults.

Then one day the FTTA trainer told us, "Don't waste your time" with the aged, the poor, the weak and the sick. He continued, don't bother with those who can't repay you in this age; rather go for the "good building material" (college students). I was aghast. I protested. This was nothing like the gospels! They ignored me. So I let it go. . . I was sold out, remember? But looking back, that was the beginning of the end . . . I left 3 years later.

This was when the transition was underway from "door knocking" to "campus work". LC'ers got their eyes trained and calibrated to scout for middle class Caucasian college students. Anyone else, meh.

On a related note, I recently met with one from the LC, who told me that this year's push on campus had a theme: they need "fresh blood for the Body". Later in considering the phrase I remembered that it was Walter Martin the vampire expert who early on warned of the dangers of this group. Coincidence? Maybe not.