View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #106
aron

Default Re: Christ is the Body, "the Body-Christ"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB482 View Post
It was the jewish and synagogue references that aron had in his post that I was wondering about. The Church didn't evolve or morph out of Judaism. .... The Church's origin is Heaven with a Heavenly calling it's members chosen by God before the foundation of the World. ..the Apostle to the Gentiles was arrested and converted,who only knew a glorified Christ. And to Paul were given the revelation of Christ and the Church which is His body.
All valid points. I don't always frame my arguments carefully, and leave a lot that might be assumed, or not, as the case may be.

In my case I was noting that Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, went into Jewish synagogues and addressed "men of Israel, and those of you who fear God" and I was asking, What were those non-Jewish people doing in a synagogue? What drew them? Even in Judaism, something of the marvel of God was seen. And Jesus was the apotheosis of that marvel.

Acts 10:2 He [the Gentile centurion] and all his household were devout and God-fearing. He gave generously to the people and prayed to God regularly.

Acts 13:16 Standing up, Paul motioned with his hand and said: "Fellow Israelites and you Gentiles who worship God, listen to me!

Going back to Jewish ethics, and our Christian (Christ-like) living of generosity, compassion and mercy, I think the Greeks also had ethics. One could look up many books on the Stoic and Epicurean lines, among others. Many might seem arguably "superior" or enlightened compared to the desert Semites... but God has raised this Jesus from the dead, and we are witnesses ~Acts 2:32. And something remarkable (so I surmise) drew these non-Jewish people into the synagogues.

And my reading is admittedly idiosyncratic, but it was formed in a crucible. I was in the LC for years, in many meetings per week, opening my mouth and yelling the slogans. But I was miserable. I was miserable in the Protestants, and came into the LC seeking purpose. I got love-bombed and stayed for a while, but the sense of purposelessness and frustration remained. Then after some years I left the LC, still miserable and frustrated, and after some years of wandering about aimlessly one day I got my purpose. It was to help people. Since that moment, a road-to-Damascus-blinding-light moment, my life has been different. It's not about me, it's about helping others. Suddenly I got it. "He who loses his soul-life will gain it." And, "It is better to give, than to receive". And, "invite those who cannot repay you..." &c

I was a Christian before that moment, and a Christian after it. But that was the moment that changed my life. Not a vision of the Body-Christ. Suddenly God gave me a purpose, and a meaning: to help others, to "love and good works" (Heb ch. 10. Whether or not I've been at all successful since then only the Lord knows. But until that point I was aimlessly beating at air, cf 1 Cor 9:26.