Thread: Fundamentalism
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2015, 06:05 AM   #1630
zeek

Default Re: Fundamentalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
This statement does not seem to be consistent with the one you quoted earlier. It makes me wonder whether there is some context missing with respect to the first quote. Whether the quote is part of a larger passage in which either the nature of the church in the first century is deemed irrelevant, or the point of focus is other than what it appears when provided without context.

Otherwise, it would be an unlikely statement from a "devout Christian." Something does not connect.

Oh, I'm sure that he did not simply dismiss the nature of the NT church. But if he thought it was of utmost importance and it did not seem to exist, then I would expect . . . well, something less than a devout Christian.
Kierkegaard wrote voluminously. His works are all easily available to anyone who wants to read them. The two quotes I cited are both in the Faedrelandet Articles which i have in The Essential Kierkegaard from Princeton University Press. I think from the two quotes I cited it is obvious that he was criticizing the "Christians" of his day [including himself] for their lack of seriousness regarding the teachings of Jesus.

Ken Gemmer- Church in Detroit, Church in Fort Lauderdale, Church in Miami 1973-86

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote