View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 08:01 AM   #192
Ohio

Default Re: Open Letter - Dear Saints in the Lord's Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons to Glory! View Post
Thanks. Personally, I find I can make anything in my Christian walk into a mere system, which by definition is religion. Although, there are certain things He has told me to be faithful in (if you remember the paper I wrote, "Faithful in a Few Things). These few things include getting into the word and seeking Him in the morning and getting with the saints frequently. I'm diligent to just do these - present my body, if you will - regardless of how I feel. So these are a sort of system with me, but they are really just vehicles to turn to Him and be fed in spirit.
I would say that the best definition for "religion" is what the Bible calls "good works." Lee regularly and purposely confused these with "dead works." It behooves all of us to know the difference.

Paul told Titus that God's salvation results in a special people "zealous of good works." (read 2.11-15) See also Ephesians 2.10; I Timothy 5.10, 6.18; Titus 2.7; James 2.26; Hebrews 10.24, etc. As I post these verse references I was actually shocked to discover that the Recovery Version (original) had NO cross references for "good works." Amazing!

The phrase "dead works," however, is limited to Hebrews (6.1, 9.14) Paul used this expression to describe O.T. practices which crept into the church, and which were worthless for our salvation. These "dead works" are never about serving, loving, or caring for others. Rather these relate to animal sacrifices, celebrating certain days, dietary regulations, etc. all of which were fulfilled and done away with in Christ.

W. Lee wrongly combined dead works and good works together for his own personal benefit, directing all the saints energies into building up his ministry.