View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #200
Trapped

Default Re: The Gospel Versus "God's Economy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
God is that He is. Trying to figure out why He is Father, Son, and Spirit may be a fools errand. Maybe our time is spent better just appreciating that He is, interacting with Him as all three and one, thanking and praising Him. And, telling others how wonderful He is.

I’ve said and explained this elsewhere on these boards: the word economy is a poor English choice for the Greek word that literally means “house law”. Try using the word stewardship instead in the verses Lee often cited that he translated economy and see if it doesn’t change your thinking about these matters.

I can't quite tell if you agree or disagree, but my issue in my particular post isn't with the word "economy" or any translation options of the word. My issue is Lee saying that "God's being triune is FOR His economy" (or house law, or stewardship). My issue is with the word "for".

For example, I am fine with the statement "God's being triune can be seen in His economy." But to say "God's being triune is FOR His economy" is something different. It implies that His economy came before His existence. It implies his Trinity serves, or is subservient to, or is something produced because of, His economy.

I prefer stewardship or house law also, but in the blinders of what I was dealing with in this one post, it doesn't change my issue with how Lee said what he said.

Lee seemed to be giving a reason why God is triune. Like you said, God is that He is, and I agree, and there is no figuring out why He is anything.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote