View Single Post
Old 10-31-2016, 05:50 AM   #41
Ohio

Default Re: Reading the Bible does not Give us the Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
According to Mr Piper, these folk in Acts 2:14-36 would have had to read the Word first, and then have the Spirit poured out on them. But it was the other way around. This is because the Spirit inspired the bible , the bible does not (necessarily) inspire the Spirit. I say necessarily because if the bible is prayed back to God (pray-reading), we may gain the Spirit. But that is because of the prayer, and our hearts turned to the Lord. There is no magic about reading the Bible and the Spirit jumping into us because of our bible reading.
Piper never said that. You read that into it.

These fine "folks" waiting in Jerusalem were already filled with God's word. It was a living word spoken by the Word Himself, which they had been hearing for months, even years for some.

For example, one word of God abiding with them during this difficult time, i.e. "stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high," even though they all were in fear of both the Jews and the Romans.

Evangelical, please learn the distinction between the word of God and mere letters. For you to constantly criticize Piper's instruction, "the more of God's Word you know and love, the more of God's Spirit you will experience," separates you from the entire body of Christ and isolates you in some insignificant (borderline heretical) sect. You become like that brother contented to stay home, all the while condemning all Christians for praying in public, and not in their "closet."

I'm sure you must have something better from the Lord to say.