View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #68
Unregistered

Default Re: pay no attention to the MOTA behind the curtain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igzy View Post
It's interesting, too, Ray. I was reading 1 Cor 3 again yesterday, and I realized that Paul's warning that some works would be burned was in the context of cheerleading a particular man.

Paul give his whole warning of works being burned and then ends the chapter with, "So then, no more boasting about human leaders!" v. 21. (emphasis mine).

Surely this is indicating that one way to get your work burned is to do them in the context of elevating a particular leader!
Is the LRC really worse than any other Christian group on this point? WL was a very minor part of my LRC experience. No doubt some boasted in WL, but others were much more balanced in focusing on the ministry of WL, WN, and the brethren teachers, etc.

Things may have changed since I was in the LRC, but I was encouraged to read far more spiritual books in the LRC than in Christianity and few of them were published by LSM. I read biographies of several Christians, none of which were published by LSM, I read a bunch of books by WN that were not published by LSM, and I purchased a number of reference books, again not published by the LSM.

This may also answer Ohio's question. Peter was not a cheerleader for himself, but turned us to Jesus. Likewise with Paul. Did they have failings? Yes. Does that mean we cannot benefit from their ministry? No.