View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #32
Ohio

Default Re: Open Letter - Dear Saints in the Lord's Recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Hi, ...I just recently began to learn about all the hidden history of the LR. To you all that have been aware of this for a while, how do you evaluate the impact of this letter from the Casteelīs and all the Facebook responses so far? I know there are many other documents from others and letters, etc., but how do I put this letter and responses into perspective?

In other words, does this open FB post with so many saints supporting and confirming with their own experiences seem like something really big is happening and gaining momentum, like the cat is really out of the bag now, or maybe just not yet?

Thanks!
(me? just a brother in the church for years and years looking to the Lord to understand.....)
Welcome to the forum, Raptor!

I too was active for decades in the LC's. The Midwest quarantines forced me to examine both Brethren history and our own history. The "glorious Recovery" got exposed for what it wasn't. I got to see the "man behind the curtain."

A while back I was surprised to see how many of our 2nd generation had become "social justice warriors." Facebook comments only confirmed that this is more widespread than than I thought. Kind of makes sense. I decided that I needed to understand our current culture war in order to even talk to some of these young people. I do keep social media on a short leash, knowing how contentious it can be.

I suspect that FB has long had regular conversations between ex-members. Joanna Casteel, however, has put into writing the intense inner turmoil which the most devoted members face. In my view most LC leaders just live with the cognitive dissonance and blatant hypocrisies of that system, whereas she was far too genuine and sincere to accept that course of action. Usually guys can "compartmentalize" thoughts better than the ladies, and in this case it's not a good thing.