View Single Post
Old 03-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
aron

Default Re: Music in the Church

I feel that the angels worship what they see. "And let all the angels of God worship Him."

We, on the other hand, write worship songs based on what we suppose God to be. Our suppositions and subsequent emotional responses dominate, and it doesn't matter how fleet our fingers are on the fretboard, or how many octaves our voices reach. It is still manufactured treacle.

Jesus said that He would lead worship of the Father in the Church meeting. He said this repeatedly in both the OT and NT. But instead we get Fred the bass player worshipping some vague amalgam of Jesus/God. Or examining the equivalent of his navel, i.e. his sinful heart. Ho-hum.

On earth there was a Man, Jesus, who never lost sight of His Father in heaven. It was an amazing thing to see this Man. It was a literal show-stopper. But we seem to have lost sight of this Man, and now have a "Jesus in the sky" who can be whatever we want Him to be for today's song. Piffle.

Sorry. That is just my opinion. There is some fantastic contemporary Christian music out there, and I am rabid for it (i.e. unbalanced as I am about most everything else, I warrant), but the vast majority, like 99.6%, is (to me) dreck.

Music is tough, though. It is a very subjective thing. So I respect what others like. I just don't like it.