Thread: The LCS Factor
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #412
SpeakersCorner

Matt,

I guess my biggest objection to your judgment of the LC is the level of accusation you take. I am sure every person and group has some hidden idols in the saddlebags (as did Rachel) that at some point in the journey become exposed and must be discarded. If that were all you were pointing out, I'd have no problem.

But you have gone far beyond that claiming that the LC is and has been permeated with idolatry. Actually, terming it "idolatry" is far worse than simply saying there are idols there. You are saying it's systemic. As proof you use a letter which, if used as an Exhibit in an "Idolatry" trial of the LC would certainly face strenuous cross-examination. At worst, it is a statement of loyalty to Witness Lee. It is built upon the "Minister of the Age" doctrine, a tenet you may object to (I do) but one that certainly has precedent. Not only did the Brethren believe this, the Jesuits basically did as well. Their mission was to be bound to poverty, chastity, and to "enter upon hospital and missionary work in Jerusalem, or to go without questioning wherever the pope might direct." You may not agree with this, but calling it idolatry is quite a big accusation.

Look, I think those so-called pictures of Jesus hanging in 90% of the churches of the world are idols. But I certainly don't think the churches that have them are idolatrous and every single member is guilty of idol worship simply for attending meetings there.

SC
SpeakersCorner is offline   Reply With Quote