View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #26
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Are there Apostles in the Church Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
It's hard to prove a negative. So, before you can determine that an apostle is false, can we first arrive at a scriptural definition of an "apostle". That is, what is a "true" apostle?

One website says: "False apostles are people who masquerade as Christian leaders, get other people to follow them, and then lead them astray. A true apostle is one who is “sent” by God as an ambassador of Jesus Christ with a divine message. A false apostle is a pretender who does not truly represent Christ and whose message is false.
https://www.gotquestions.org/false-apostles.html

Matthew 7:15-20 says "You Will Know Them by Their Fruits" then discusses false prophets.
15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Can we apply the same test to false prophets that we apply to false apostles? In light of false prophets/apostles and their fruit, to determine if an apostle is false, look at the fruits of their ministry. There is no shortage of testimony on the fruit of Witness Lee's ministry from which a test could easily be derived. Does Lee's ministry represent Christ, or himself? Is Lee pretending to represent Christ, all the while representing himself?

Nell
Yes, I think this is the principle that the Lord gave us. However, "you shall know them by their fruit" doesn't mean they don't have fruit. It means they don't have "good fruit". In the same way you will know a prospective elder by his fruit, his children. The test is not if he has children, but rather "did he raise them well".

Applying this to Witness Lee, no doubt those that feel he was a true apostle will point to his fruit. Those that don't feel he was a true apostle will also point to his fruit.

So I do agree we have to examine the fruit, still it is not a simple question even if you do that.

The other thing that is interesting to me is that you examine their fruit prior to receiving them, not as part of a historical reflection on the place that this person might have. You examine the fruit of an elder before you appoint him, you examine the fruit of an evangelist long before you would describe the person as a gifted evangelist, likewise with shepherds and teachers.

when they saw that I had been intrusted with the gospel of the uncircumcision, even as Peter with the gospel of the circumcision 8 (for he that wrought for Peter unto the apostleship of the circumcision wrought for me also unto the Gentiles); 9 and when they perceived the grace that was given unto me, James and Cephas and John, they who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship, that we should go unto the Gentiles, and they unto the circumcision;

You examine the fruit of the person to see that they "have been intrusted with the gospel" before you "give unto them the right hand of fellowship".