View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #103
aron

Default Re: Christ is the Body, "the Body-Christ"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB482 View Post
I don't see in the teaching of the Apostles what you are saying is the central theme of the new testament revelation and God's purpose.
Thank you for the challenge. I don't take it as anything but "in love". We all should test what is put out by others.

Hebrews 10:24 says to exhort one another to "love and good works". Yes verse 25 says, don't forsake the assembling together, but simply assembling in and of itself is not a good work. There should be some issue, some demonstration that you are saved. A 'sign', if you will. Notice how the two are put together in Heb 10:24: "love" paired with "good works". The second proves the reality of the first. Think of Dorcas and the widows. You knew one was there (love) because of the issue (the good works). The shirts and tunics were a 'sign' of the love within her heart.

When Peter went to the Gentiles, and told them of Jesus Christ, he characterized him in this way, "You yourselves know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee with the baptism that John proclaimed: how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power, and how Jesus went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, because God was with Him. We are witnesses of all that He did, both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem." (Acts 10:37-39)

Peter was a witness for 3+ years of Jesus' life, and this was his summary: "Jesus went around, doing good". So I say it is indeed the "central theme of the New Testament", as you put it. Yes, we are saved by grace, not by works. It is by faith, not by works lest any man should boast. Then, what? Follow Jesus. (And look what Jesus was doing).

Lastly, as far as a return to Judaism, that was clearly settled in Acts 15. But note what they told Paul to do: "And recognizing the grace that I had been given, James, Cephas, and John—those reputed to be pillars—gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, so that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the Jews. They only asked us to be mindful of the poor, the very thing I was eager to do." (Gal 2:9,10) The only specific request from the "pillars" to Paul was to remember the poor, which he said he was "eager to do". Why? Because it is "God's economy!" It is the "central lane of the divine revelation", as LSM President BP likes to put it.

Just some thoughts from a fellow pilgrim along the way.