View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 04:48 AM   #195
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: What is the boundary of the Local Church?

1Cor 14 is the one chapter that speaks about the “gathering of the called out ones” in detail. The term “church” refers to a meeting, and this is the one chapter that focuses on how this meeting should take place.

5Now I would have you all speak with tongues, but rather that ye should prophesy:

Paul’s use of the word prophesy is not so much “predict” but rather speak forth. But consider this, he wants everyone in the meeting to speak. So far our debate has been on the minimum number required for a church meeting, but now I would ask what is the maximum number you can have where “all speak”?

8For if the trumpet give an uncertain voice, who shall prepare himself for war?

He is comparing our speaking with playing an instrument. In this analogy the church is an orchestra and everyone has an instrument and should be participating. In Philippians Paul likens the church to a Choragus, a Choir. In both examples those in the meeting are not spectators but participants. It is difficult to have an orchestra or choir of more than 100.

If you are going to learn to play the trumpet you will do it in small private lessons with two or three, with private practice, and with other rehearsals. A meeting of two or three is ideal for someone to learn to play the trumpet, to begin to play the trumpet and to practice playing the trumpet.

19howbeit in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that I might instruct others also, than ten thousand words in a tongue.

24But if all prophesy, and there come in one unbelieving or unlearned, he is reproved by all, he is judged by all; 25the secrets of his heart are made manifest; and so he will fall down on his face and worship God, declaring that God is among you indeed.

No one can deny that the only description of a Christian gathering is one in which “all prophesy” or “all speak”.

26What is it then, brethren? When ye come together, each one hath a psalm, hath a teaching, hath a revelation, hath a tongue, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

Once again — each one has. Therefore I would argue the issue is not what is the minimum number needed, but rather what is the maximum. Everyone knows if you are in a meeting of 2 or 3 all will speak, all will have something. Once that number goes over 20 there will be those that don’t speak. Once it goes over 100 most will not speak.

So this is now the third Biblical example I am providing of the church meeting that supports 2, 3 or small gatherings. No doubt, we would also hope that the orchestra does have large gatherings, but that might only represent a very small percent of the actual meetings those musicians have had.