View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #237

Default Re: Good Lee/Bad Lee: Can they be separated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
For me, this means that when we do not see the error and follow, it is not our problem. It is the teacher's.

So those who "hear" it are not necessarily condemned. But the ones who taught it are. And those who knew better and sat by silently are as well. Those who know better should be those who step up to "refuse" certain teachers. That failure makes them complicit.
It may mean that for you, but it does not appear that Jesus holds the same view.

5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

It seems to me that for you to enter the kingdom of heaven your righteousness has to exceed that of the Pharisees. He condemns the pharisees for breaking and teaching others to break his commandments. He then says that if "you do and teach them". I don't see Jesus classifying believers into the group that does but doesn't teach. When I read this verse I feel I am required to both do and teach.

Then if you look at 7:15-20 Jesus teaches us how to discern good teachers from bad. This is critical, because according to verses 24-27 Jesus says that those who hear these sayings of his and don't do them he will liken to a fool. So if you want to appear before the judgement seat and say "hey, I'm just a fool" be my guest.

7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it