Thread: My Testimony
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #39
aron

Default Watchman Nee on freedom of thought and expression

Nee wanted to "allow Chinese Christians to express themselves freely about the content of the Bible", and "return to the plain sense of Scripture as the timeless and timely word of God." At least that's how I understand the quotes in Dongsheng John Wu's book on Watchman Nee. (p.27,28)

If Chinese, under decades of Western imperialist oppression, could be liberated and read the words for themselves, think and talk about it, and accept it according to their norms and values, why can't every one else? If Chinese could pursue subjective experience in Christ, why can't women? Why can't the pastor in Podunk Community Church look to God, to see what to speak about on Sunday morning. Why does this freedom in Christ Jesus threaten some people so much?

Instead, "No, we all have to be absolutely identical" See footnotes in Revelations 2 and 3. Identical to what? To you?

Paul said, "imitate me, as I imitate Christ". Paul didn't force imitation, rather he imitated and encouraged others to see Christ in his actions. As much as you see, follow; if you don't see, don't follow. Paul never imposed "oneness". That is the oneness of Babylon - "If you don't have the mark, then you can't buy, sell, or eat."

Paul said, "Am I not free?" We can repeat this: men, women, blacks, whites, Barbarians, Scythians. Gentiles and Jews. Chinese. Dockworkers. Mulattos. Free. We are free. If we make distinctions today, and impose new conventions in a misguided attempt to find order and structure in a world of flux, to me this says that we don't trust the Spirit, but rather desire the freedom of a cage, and the peacefulness of a museum display case. No noise, no dust, no motion, no change, no bothersome uncertainty. No need to turn to the Spirit except what cereal to have for breakfast. Other than that, it's all figured out ("interpreted") by Big Brother.