View Single Post
Old 03-20-2015, 12:13 AM   #28
InOmnibusCaritas

Default Re: Post-Recovery: A Testimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Welcome InOmnibusCaritas! When I read your testimony, I didn't really know what to say at first. It sounds like you been through a lot to get to where you are now. I can relate to you in some ways as I am not too far removed in age from you.

I grew up in the LC, and I also had non-LC Christian friends. Though I didn't realize it at the time, it had a big effect on me. Christians outside the LC don't understand the LC, and inevitably ask questions. This forced me even from a young age to try to understand LC teachings, if for no other reason than to be able to defend things that people might find questionable.

With those I grew up in the LC, however, it seems like the predominant attitude was that they were just along for the ride. Their parents wanted them there, so they were there. Some dropped out by the time they were adults, others went on to attend the FTT. I didn't attend the training despite being fairly zealous for the ministry early on in my life. As time went by, things started bothering me more and more. Others my age were just getting more involved in the LC as I was beginning to question things.
It was indeed very hard to come out from LC. I'd built my entire social identity around the LC. Everyone I knew before 2006 were from LCs. To maintain my convictions will mean the loss of personal identity, community, family, and even romantic relationship. All these for "one publication"? Who is Titus Chu anyway? I'd not heard him speak nor read his books. Where is Cleveland on a map?

Oh the sleepless nights. The greatest worry of them all was this: WHAT IF I AM WRONG?? 1000 YEARS OF OUTER DARKNESS, ANYONE??

So I think we need to come up with a strategy on how to help others make the exodus instead of enraging them just because we need to vent our anger (I know, we are all angry). How do we show them love?
InOmnibusCaritas is offline   Reply With Quote