View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #9
OBW

Default Re: Recommended Christian Books, Authors, Blogs or Videos

I would say that there are many good places to seek things for your own learning and enlightenment. But it is difficult to say that any particular one of those is good for discussion with those in the LC. The reason I say this is that there is just too much closed mindedness to anything not from Lee. (This should sound a lot like the fight going on in Corinth that Paul had to squash.)

But some good authors would include Chuck Swindoll, Scot McKnight, John Piper, Randy Alcorn, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, and many others. Even consider reading some of older ones like Merton (Thomas?). Most of the other sources mentioned before would be good. For blogs, I like a variety that go all over the place. Even some that I do not always agree with. Jesus Creed (Scot McKnight), Subversive 1 (Keith Giles), Kevin DeYoung (very Calvinist), Roger Olson, Internet Monk (Mike Mercer — and 2 or so other "Mikes", along with reposts from the now-deceased founder, Michael Spencer). I suggest the podcast "Theology Unplugged." It is no longer active, but still available on iTunes.

None of these is perfect. Some are controversial (esp Keith Giles). They all make you think.

I have a subscription to the online version of Christianity Today that includes their written articles plus many online articles and a couple of regular blogs.

What I get from all of this is the understanding that for all the doctrinal discussions that go on, the Christian life is more about what we do than what we believe (beyond belief in Jesus Christ).

And while I honestly think that these might be too different to present to a LCer, I might be wrong. It might be something beyond the simple repackaging of the same-old-same-old that gets someone's attention. I am constantly challenged to do more than just "carry on as we have" when I read any of these.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote