View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #179
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Whose on First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelical View Post
According to the bible acts 14.23...yes. Elders were appointed in every church. Paul would not have meant to appoint elders in every gathering of two or three..then everyone would be an elder !

This is an easy way to distinguish between a gathering and a church.

John Piper explains the importance of elders here

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles...-new-testament

If every church has elders (plural) then for a church of 2 people both are elders and for a church if 3...2 are elders. We can see how ZNPs thinking is silly when compared to biblical and historical facts.
14:23 And when they had appointed for them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they had believed.

The question is not whether or not elders are scriptural, but rather whether or not a gathering of Christians is not a church until elders have been appointed.

Read this verse in Acts that Evangelical has referenced. Paul appointed elders in every church. It doesn't say that it became a church once Paul appointed elders. He preached, people believed, they gathered together into "gatherings of the called out ones", then Paul returned to these gatherings and appointed elders. They were churches before the elders were appointed.

This also matches my personal experience with the church in Odessa. They were a very small gathering, a men's Bible study (3 brothers that I know of), that decided to meet based on the writings of Watchman Nee. This now included wives and children. This small group contacted the churches in Texas. George Whitington met with them and encouraged saints to move out there. I moved. It was referred to as "the church in Odessa" by all, even though we had no meeting hall and had perhaps 20+ believers if you include the children. More saints moved out, Phil Delp and George Whitington were sent out and they were "appointed elders" along with one of the brothers who was part of the original Bible study. But the elders were appointed years after it was recognized as a church.