View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #3056
ZNPaaneah

Default Re: Politics and the Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by awareness View Post
I don't know about worse ... but not very good. And as far as policy, I know, I know, abortion and Israel. You'd vote for Satan if he promised those policies to you. Why? Cuz those are issues Jesus spent chapter after chapter on. His teaching against abortion was longer than the sermon on the mount. And the temple? Well he said he'd destroy it and rebuild it 2000 years later ... thru Trump.
I am not a fan of Trump but this is not a reasonable critique of his policies.

1. Some people like his SCOTUS appointment.

2. Some people like his emphasis on a strong military.

3. Perhaps his approach with N. Korea will be better, too early to tell. The previous approach was obviously ineffective.

4. I do not see any good reason to treat Israel as some kind of red headed step child. We put our embassy in the capital of other countries. Calling this some kind of radical Christian bias is just hypocrisy.

5. Abortion is a big issue for many of us, dismissing this is insulting.

6. $25 billion for a wall represents slightly more than 1/2 of 1% of the US government budget. Since this would go to pay US laborers and contractors The US govt would probably get 40% of this back in taxes in just the first year. Second, I don't see how anyone can dispute that this will make the Mexican border safer and easier to monitor. Therefore the only real issue is if it is worth the $12 billion price tag. If you spread that over 25 years you are talking about $500 million per year for the wall. That is about 1/6th of the annual budget for border security with Mexico each year. But it hardly seems like that big a deal. Perhaps in the final analysis they should only have built $20 billion of the wall. We'll find out in the end.

7. Also, I would not be surprised if in the final analysis his administration gets higher marks for the conflicts in the Middle East compared to Obama, Clinton and Bush.