View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #35
Ohio

Default Re: Intro of an ex "Church Kid"

Quote:
Originally Posted by byHismercy View Post
You are right to say I have only looked at one side of the debate. I took each version I had on my shelves and compared probably 15 or 20 verses against the KJV. I was really shocked at the differences, and what they did to alter the word.

The other side for me, was a testimony I saw and heard from a catholic-raised lady. She had an encounter with Jesus that converted her. Part of that story was her relating how one of her excuses to the Lord for her unbelief was the alteration of the word, the differences in translations, and her distrust of His word in these modern records. He told her it was His responsibility to uphold His truth. His word will not return to Him void! So I believe into His promise, and His ability to feed the milk and meat of the word where He intends it to go.

But after comparing the NKJV, NASB, ESV, (don't even get me started on the NIV, the Message bible) verse by verse to the KJV, I was convinced enough to get rid of all my other versions. I would be surprised to see my opinion change, however, that being said, I am open to learning more and looking at both sides, especially considering your remarks. I am sorry this grieves you, brother. What do you think about opening a separate thread on this subject, here? Or is there one already?
ByHisMercy, the KJV in not the biblical standard by which you should compare other versions. Let me discuss a little of its history. On the one hand, King James assembled the best scholars of his day, the era of classical Shakesperean English. On the other hand, King James himself determined that his version would forever be the official "Authorized" English version. It was a work dedicated to the king in order to exalt the king of England for all time. Since the kings of England were the head of the church of England, they could outlaw other translations, which they did until the late 19th century. Let me quote some of the original introduction to the KJV:
Quote:
To the most high and mightie Prince, James by the grace of God King of Great Britaine, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, &c. The translators of The Bible, wish Grace, Mercie, and Peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord.
reat and manifold were the blessings (most dread Soveraigne) which Almighty GOD, the Father of all Mercies, bestowed upon us the people of ENGLAND, when first he sent your Majesties Royall person to rule and raigne over us. For whereas it was the expectation of many, who wished not well unto our ZION, that upon the setting of that bright Occidentall Starre Queene ELIZABETH of most happy memory, some thicke and palpable cloudes of darkenesse would so have overshadowed this land, that men should have bene in doubt which way they were to walke, and that it should hardly be knowen, who was to direct the unsetled State: the appearance of your MAJESTIE, as of the Sunne in his strength, instantly dispelled those supposed and surmised mists, and gave unto all that were well affected, exceeding cause of comfort; especially when we beheld the government established in your HIGHNESSE, and your hopefull Seed, by an undoubted Title, and this also accompanied with Peace and tranquillitie, at home and abroad.
I have always found the ego and exaltation of King James to be a little sickening personally.

Thus, all translations of God's word should not be compared to the KJV, but to the best Greek Manuscript which scholarly Textural Critiques have provided, in lieu of the original autographs by the writers of the N.T. Concerning the N.T., God wrote in Greek. So every Bible Version we have in English is at best a translation from the Greek. Jesus Himself authorized translations of His word since He actually quote from the Greek Septuagint, and not from the Hebrew Scriptures.